Sunday, February 8, 2009

Thanksgiving Lapbook

Here is a lapbook we did at Thanksgiving. If I post now, then I can re-reference it next Thanksgiving!

I used mostly materials from an online pack. I can't seem to find what I purchased but I actually think I like THIS one better! I also used some printouts from Enchanted Learning. The cover has vocabulary words in a pocket, we talked about the five senses used during Thanksgiving, practiced 'pre-multiplicaton' (aka skip counting), and did some logic by filling in the opposite side of the drawing!




Again folks...tilt your head. We alphabetized Thanksgiving words, learned about actual turkeys (mark that down as science/biology), completed a fraction book and another vocabulary task.





This next sheet was a logic test and this is reason number seven why I like homeschooling. Andrew would get these "wrong" at school because he thinks outside the box....but i always have him explain the answer to me and if he can....he always can... he gets 'full credit.' We have only recently started doing 'grades' which means an A+ next to each problem he gets correct. (This is usually done only on math.) He doesn't get less than an A+ however... we do grades only to encourage...It is counterproductive to give him a bad grade. We just work on what we need to until we understand it!



We mapped the travels of the ships (geography) and also did a timeline of the various journeys (history.) We talked in detail about the Pilgrims and their life as well as worked on spelling and grammar (synonyms etc..)





We read an incredible book on Squanto and his entire life. I will put a link in here at a later date on that. And finally we did a calendar which is Andrew's favorite part.





Again, I find Lapbooks a wonderful tool for us to organize our thoughts as well as practice guided participation. I often look back and wonder...did we DO anything this month?? The answer is yes...it just isn't done in 'worksheets.'

2 comments:

walking said...

Wow, I never thought of it, but lapbooks can be a way of promoting dynamic thinking when you encourage out-of-the-box thinking! Pamela and I are using the Greg Tang books that way. We take turns showing each other different ways to get solutions to the math problems!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts with Thumbnails