Monday, May 18, 2009

Unschooling....


We are continuing with our unschooling fun. Already today we have practiced speech, fine motor, listening, guided participation, fractions and art. Paints kind of freak Andrew out unless confined to a small area but I found cool 3-D sidewalk paints at Walmart. They aren't REALLY 3-D paints but rather you put on 3-D glasses and if you do it correctly, they kind of jump out at you. The art was a lesson in guided participation. I drew the first S and the beginning of the second S. Then you draw another third S (in red) to get a 3-D effect. He did get some on his hands and was 'ok' with it. I had also rubbed the brush on the grass to clean it and he ended up sitting in it. He LAUGHED.

I am finding that rather than trying to fit 'autism / guided participation' together with 'hearing impaired therapy, I am just picking and choosing, in true unschooling fashion, to work on it as we go. Yesterday we were outside playing 'aliens' and there were LOTS of opportunity to work on speech. When he says something incorrectly, I either 'repeat' what he has said incorrectly or look at him funny as if to say..'huh?' When we are working on a minimal pair where I think he can hear such as where vs. lair, i will SAY the incorrect word hoping he will hear the difference and how he said it incorrectly. If I don't think he can hear the difference (fat vs. that) I will give him an 'i'm stumped' look. I do work on these harder minimal pairs in isolation rather than play so he can concentrate on them..and then carry them through to play. This is probably clear as mud if you don't know what about guided participation or minimal pairs. But if you don't know...then you don't need to work on them!!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails