Thursday, August 11, 2011

Planning and God's perfect timing...

I was just doing the dishes and thinking... everyone is doing their curriculum planning and blogging about it.  I have done the same in the past.  Each year, I get less rigid and more 'fluid.'  But I was lamenting (to myself) a bit about how we are doing Alpha and Gamma MathUSee for Andrew- at the SAME time.  For those that don't know MUS, Alpha is basic addition and subtraction facts (8+6, 19-5).  Gamma is basic multiplication and division (3X4, 9/3).  We have been doing basics for years.

Today I drilled Andrew on +8 facts.  And I was thinking, with hopeful thoughts, that this is the first time I have been able to SPEED drill him for math.  Now I could go down the path of thinking, "we have been working on this for YEARS."  But in fact, I now feel God was guiding me AWAY from drilling and into learning concepts and now returning us to drilling.  (Drilling created GREAT anxiety in Andrew and it was so counterproductive.)  Beta in MUS is more complicated addition and subtraction with regrouping.  We had made our way all the way to the subtraction with re-grouping. I feel that, although I had worries and angst along the way, I finally gave in to God giving me direction.  This is NOT the path that ANY math program takes you.  And believe me, I know because I have them all.  (Singapore, Developmental, Righstart, Miquon, various workbooks.)  I bought all the levels for all the programs in a panic about a year and a half ago.  At some point someone else will get blessed with them or we will use them to reinforce our work.   But I know that we will breeze through Beta and probably Delta (complicated multiplication and division) once we go back and re-do the facts.

Mr. Demme, in MUS says both concepts and facts are important.  I agree.  Typically though they suggest to not go on to the next unit until you do have the facts and the concept.  If I did that we'd still be at the very beginning with very little concept work.  This round-about way has worked for us.  (They DO say in their videos that especially if you have special needs kids, you might not follow the path directly.)

I have many favorite Scriptures but two come to mind here and I bet some of you can guess the first one.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6.

So straight up to you Jesus... thanks for the guidance.

I also am thankful for his grace and forgiveness when I didn't specifically ASK for guidance.  Lets face it, I probably have wasted time trying to drill Andrew before he was ready.

A few years ago I read a book about a woman whose child has ODD and he is now doing well.  She used a Scripture I had never read before but I love it for these situations:

I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten...  Joel 2:25.

I believe that in God's economy, nothing is wasted, and he can make up for any time that was lost.  (We were just talking about that at our small group last night..but that part doesn't quite fit with math.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails