Friday, September 10, 2010

America's Math Teacher - TOS review




I was given the opportunity to review America's Math Teacher. You can get this for $195/year. Unfortunately this is video based and is not accessible to the hearing impaired who need captioning. I viewed several lessons myself so I could see what they were like.

Andrew is at about 2nd grade math and much of this was above his level. Again, unfortunately, even that part at his level, was not captioned and this would not have worked for him. He can hear some videos but when trying to learn a new concept, I don't like to give the added pressure of having to concentrate so much on his listening. (For anyone who does not know, he has had a cochlear implant since he was a year old.) For me, it is a deal breaker just on principal to do captioning if I am going to purchase a product.


This program is meant to be a supplement any current math program and might work as such, especially with all the information in one location. This also might be more economical if you had many children and could utilize the program at various levels. You can move from level to level so you don't have to worry about signing up for the wrong one and you can easily use for multiple students.

There were also printed lessons but we did not use them because the videos were not accessible.

I did contact the company and they gave me this information regarding captioning. I really hope they do this!

We are going to continue to improve the site and add more features. We will be offering a Spanish version as well as including much more content. Captioning is something that we will be considering also. With so much happening during the initial phase, I am unable to provide an accurate timeline. We will be giving the topic serious consideration.

There were plenty of crew mates who also reviewed this item. If captioning isn't important, you can see their reviews by clicking on the banner above. I do suggest doing that because we were not able to truly test the product as I would have liked.



As part of The Old Schoolhouse Crew of reviewers, I was given a complimentary subscription to America's Math Teacher. I am not compensated for this review and am not obligated to provide a positive review.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails