Monday, September 6, 2010

A big high five and hand clap all around....


For you PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS.

HUH??

I was reflecting on this today, as I have often in the past. Tomorrow is the first day of school for public schools in Michigan. There are many reasons why we homeschool and some of them are because of failures in the public school system. I am sure there are 'good' and 'bad' teachers...just like there is good and bad in every profession but the TEACHERS are NOT the reason we left.

People will say to me, "I don't know how you do it..homeschool." Well, in public school teachers have to deal with kids like Andrew plus 20-30 other kids. Sure they can go home at the end of the day but many teachers are also moms (or dads) so they go home to more of kids..and the homework of kids.

Funding is low for resources and I experienced, in my limited time in public school, that the resources even on the IEP were often not met. That then left the teacher to deal with me, the upset parent. Of course some parents are not involved at all in the life of their special ed child (that is more the norm) and that saddens many a teacher who WANTS to get more services for the child but their hands, as a teacher, are tied without a parent's help.

I do wish the schools were not so focused on academics but alas, that is what most parents want and they have to be able to MEASURE what they are teaching. I have a whole blog post in my mind about how schools can and should teach dynamic thinking. But the teachers are left to 'teach to test' and then to deal with parents who may or may not be involved, who want their children to succeed. You are between a rock and a hard place.

I do wish there was a place in the public school system where I felt Andrew's needs would be met. But our lack of trying to find that place is not because of teachers. I just became discouraged with the system as a whole.

So high fives..and big hand claps. You go girls!! (and guys..)


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails