Monday, November 1, 2010

2010 Gratitude Challenge - day 1


Garden of Learning is doing a gratitude challenge. I don't know if I will participate every day but today is truly a thankful day. Nine years ago today (see our youthful selves above) Andrew's cochlear implant was activated. I remember it like it was yesterday. Recently there have been some youtubes floating around of both babies and adults and their reactions at activation. They are astonishing. I recall that day because I told our audiologist I didn't feel much...not happy, not sad, not excited. She said that was good because it was going to be a long process. I love that she said that because our video was NOT like the youtube videos. There was very little reaction. But those of you that know Andrew know now how well he talks. (Last night he told an elderly neighbor, "you are all old and wrinkly.") So even though the road is long, I am so thankful for the cochlear implant. There is a book I bought awhile back and in it says, "God gave me my ears so I could hear." We change it up and say, "God gave me my listener so I could hear."







6 comments:

Vickie said...

What a true blessing. Technology has come a long way from when Helen Keller lost her hearing. I wonder if one of these implants would have helped her and how things would have been different...for what she contributed to the world and for herself.

Brenda Emmett said...

What an amazing blessing! I am constantly in awe of how technology advances and makes things like this possible. Thanks so much for sharing! ;-)

SisterTipster said...

Happy Anniversary to you all on this important day! We are all so blessed! Thank you for sharing this with us! hugs!!

i cant decide said...

Beautiful!

Lorie said...

This is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

The "all old and wrinkly" cracked me up!

Lorus! said...

That is an amazing blessing! What a perfect day to begin a month of gratitude.

Related Posts with Thumbnails