Sunday, November 28, 2010

2010 Gratitude Challenge - day 28


Today's post is about connections. I am thankful that Andrew makes them as I know that some kids (spectrum and not) have a hard time with that...so i recognize when Andrew makes them.

We were watching the original Charlie Brown movie yesterday; the one where he gets second in the National Spelling Bee. We only watched half way through because Andrew was so mad at Lucy. So when Charlie won the local spelling bee I thought best to turn it off. We adults talk about bullying being new but I do believe Lucy was one of the original bullies- as were many of CB's friends. Andrew was verklempt over it all. (My friend Jean was the first one to use that word a long time ago but I digress.) He was angry, mad as a hornet. Mark shared that he too used to get so mad when Lucy would continue to pull the football out from under CB. (I keep wondering why CB kept doing it..but again..I digress.)

This morning Andrew was STILL upset and I was glad that the show had 'disappeared' from the dvr as shows sometimes do. But I mentioned to him that sometimes I wonder what made Lucy so angry. Why was she always so mean? Did she have something happen to her that made her mean? Andrew's wheels were turning but I didn't know it. I was off that topic and had picked up a magazine. He said, "It's a Garthism." huh? "You know, like in The World According to Humphrey."

You see, in that book there is a boy named Garth. He becomes mean during the book. The teacher pulls him aside and asks what is going on and teases out of him that his mom is sick. Wow!

How many of us stop just long enough to really think about connections. (And about where other people's behavior comes from.)






3 comments:

Catherine said...

You just gave me a flashback. When I was younger, we were probably the only kids around who couldn't see the Peanuts specials. My parents were so loathe of Lucy, they didn't even want us to see it. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think my boys have ever seen one of the shows either, although they know the characters. It is incredible that he has been turning it over and over trying to figure it out.

the Mcclanahan 7 said...

Sounds like your son has a very good, soft heart.

walking said...

Wow! That is wonderful. Lucy was pretty obnoxious. I never really thought about it until I read Andrew's reaction. I never could figure out why Charlie Brown always fell for the football trick.

The one thing that endeared the Christmas special for me was that they actually used words from the Bible! Not many Christmas specials of that era did.

Related Posts with Thumbnails