Friday, November 26, 2010

2010 Gratitude Challenge - day 26


Aut-2B-Home asked if I had any good recipes. I have blogged our Thanksgiving menu over at my Settings Of Silver blog. You can click on over there for the recipes. Here is a quick 'self assessment' of our meal.

The turkey was great. I cooked it in a new roaster I bought for $20 at Walmart. It was over 13 lbs and cooked in under two hours. When I checked it (early) it was over 220F. Yet it was still really good. I suppose the thermometer could have been broken but I think buying a "happy turkey" was well worth it.

Mashed potatoes were made simply with Earth Balance Buttery Sticks and some chicken broth. They were tasty as was the gravy. I used Trader Joes pancake mix in the gravy. I had read yesterday while googling gravy that sweet rice flour works really well for flour. I will do that next time.

I loved the cornbread stuffing. I thought being cooked in the slow cooker it might be too moist but it wasn't. I would make this again. Everyone loved Shannon's stuffing too.

I am probably the only one that ate the cranberry sauce but it was great...and I'll make it next year and maybe sooner because I love it. My brother requested the stuff in the can. Next year I'll do that too.

Green beans were good but nothing special. Green bean casserole is good but I really didn't think that I could make that gfcf. The green beans were not really needed because I made the brussels sprouts. They were tasty- in my opinion. But they were different. Roasting brussels sprouts are great even with all the hullabaloo of the pecan vanilla butter and pomegranate arils. We DID make a good RDI exercise out of making the pecan butter and getting the arils out of the pomegranates. I truly loved this recipe. I think if you are in the mood to try something different, the flavor combinations are out of this world.

Mom's sweet potato casserole was great. It is the first time she made it and it was good. Not GFCF but I really am not sure that can be made GFCF. I was so thankful that she made it because it is a must have on Thanksgiving.

I didn't eat the rolls or Shannon's pies (because they are not gfcf) but she made them all by hand and with love! And I heard rave reviews. Oh I wish I could have tried them!!! The pumpkin pie was especially good. I hesitate to even try to make gfcf versions of something that is so good.

I made a sweet potato pie with a crumble topping. It was 'ok' but I was the only one who ate it.. still it was tasty. Next time I will just make me and Andrew a 'mini' version.

So today I am thankful for ...LEFTOVERS. I plan to make a version of this later- a turkey shepherds pie! I might have to make more mashed potatoes because there are precious few left of them.







2 comments:

Catherine said...

I was grateful for the leftovers today as well. I didn't have to cook a thing today!

SisterTipster said...

I love left overs too~they just taste better for some reason! LOL!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails