Thursday, November 4, 2010

2010 Gratitude Challenge - day 5

Today I am thankful for people who are real. In this 'thanksgiving' exercise of gratitude I am reminded of God's goodness. But sometimes life is just..difficult. And I am learning that it is OK to 'get' with the emotions of all of that. I am thankful that God is big enough to handle it even if it gets a little ugly. I was in person or on the phone in the past few days talking with friends ..to just say 'yep. That stinks.' (Or they were saying it to me.) I have learned about a defense we can put up called "spirituality" in that we always offer up a 'good word' when someone is down. I don't think we are denying God's existence by being REAL. Jesus was REAL when he was on this earth. He laughed, he wept. We can do the same. Sometimes there are no words.

On lighter note, I came across this video today which kind of exemplifies what I am talking about. It is like going to talk to the turkey...getting him to think about all his blessings... while the hatchet is falling.I tried to embed the video but it just wasn't happening. You will have to go here (or below) to view it. It is worth it. Go see it and come back.

The First Thanksgiving « Videos « The Skit Guys


So on this 5th day of gratitude I am thankful for REAL people. Folks tell me I am REAL ...maybe a little too much. But today I am thankful for people who 'sit with' each other in their challenges, joys...whatever. I have experienced that lately and I think I have been real for others.


I am adding a PS here because I just came across a great verse. "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." (1 Corintthians 2:4-5). I think this verse, in reference to this post, speaks to the fact that just 'being' with someone allows the Spirit to work. We don't have to do a thing but show up. But it is difficult to just 'be' sometimes. It takes practice.

8 comments:

Debra said...

What a great post... I too, am incredibly thankful for people who are real.

Just an Average American Mom said...

I am grateful for real people also but can't seem to find to many.

I am often a little to real for my own good but hey I wouldn't change it.

Theresa @ Everyday Sacred said...

"It is like going to talk to the turkey...getting him to think about all his blessings... while the hatchet is falling"

Wow, that is a statement to think of in reference to our relationships with others.

I'm off to view the video. :-) Thank you for sharing today.

SisterTipster said...

ON A REAL note~I've prided myself in being a REALIST for years...sooo thanks so much for recognizing the value of SEEing stuff as it is and facing it dead on~and on the lighter side of your post~YOU HAVE CRACKED ME UP!! I LOVE the vid~oh my!! I love it!! WHAT FUN!

I hope you have a blessed and beautiful day! hugs!

i cant decide said...

I get what you are saying! I need more real people in my life.

Catherine said...

My favorite friends are the "real ones". We'd get along just fine. =)

Michelle Smith said...

A good reminder to be real with others. And I just love that video! Thanks so much for the laugh tonight! :)

Brenda Emmett said...

I like REAL people too. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails