Wednesday, November 3, 2010

2010 Gratitude Challenge - day 3

So much to be thankful for I am not sure what I should list today. What struck me yesterday and something I was reflecting on was the honesty of those with special needs...the good, the bad and the ugly. My son tends to say what he means and he means what he says. That can be bad when he says, "I don't mean to offend you but you look fat." But yesterday he was so heart felt with remorse from something he did a week ago that it broke my heart. He had hit someone in anger and was afraid they would not be his friend.

At the polls there was a young man with special needs voting with his dad. After he had voted, his dad asked him to go wait outside. I have been sick for almost 40 days now. I am getting better and maybe I will post a gratitude some day soon on how great I feel. But I was coughing just a bit at the polls. As I was going to my car this young man said to me, "I hope you feel better soon." I thanked him and am still reflecting on it. No one else said that. But he didn't think twice. And it wasn't just a nicety. I could tell he really hoped I felt better. Maybe it was an angel in disguise.

Last week we had a meeting at a respite agency. Andrew kept asking everyone, "Do you know Jesus?" There was a young woman who came in by herself while we were in the waiting area. I am a bit ashamed to say that she made me nervous. But my son went over and just started talking to her starting with "Do you know Jesus?" And it was a back and forth conversation. She had her back to Andrew the whole time. He didn't try and get her to look at him or place any demands. It was a real conversation. And when Andrew was asking everyone these questions, the responses varied. It gave me a glimpse into the hearts of others in seeing how they responded to him.

Another friend took her brother to vote yesterday. Outside they were handing out Clark candy bars..for Clark. Her brother ate the candy bar and told his sister later that he really did like Clark (after reading his notes) but he had gobbled it down just in case he didn't like him. I just love that honesty.

So... gratitude! There are days that I am NOT thankful for special needs. Life would be easier without them. But life would not be the same. I am thankful for the eyes of those that see life differently... that see life true, pure and unfiltered.







3 comments:

Steph @ Wild Crickets said...

What a beautiful post! We have some special needs in various parts of our family tree, and as you said there are days when it is difficult. I am so thankful for your post today because it makes me appreciate some of the "straight talk" that I was so frustrated with yesterday. Thanks for the attitude change!

Vickie said...

Being a mom with 2 special needs....what a beautiful post. Thank you.

Catherine said...

Thank you. It's often hard to explain to people that there are gifts here in "special needs land". Your post does it so beautifully.

Related Posts with Thumbnails